Church Bell Tower
Cookies
cookies & browser settings
Cookies

 ©2015 Deborah Richardson

The Turvey Website The history and families of Turvey in Bedfordshire, England

Privacy Policy

Terms & Conditions

Copyright

Home Mail: deborah@turveybeds.com

The Bell Tower & Bells

Turvey Church Tour - Part 6

Continue the tour ...

Bell


Date

Weight


1st

treble

1900

292 kg

5 cwt

2nd


1900

299 kg

5 cwt

3rd


1864

346 kg

6 cwt

4th


1682

386 kg

7cwt

5th


1682

407 kg

8 cwt

6th


1750

456 kg

8.5 cwt

7th


1839

546 kg

10 cwt

8th

tenor

1815

974 kg

19 cwt

The Bell Tower


The tower is built on Saxon stonework foundations.  The building dates from the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries with the parapets and roof dating from 1864.

The wooden gates dividing the base of the bell

tower from the rest of the church.  Within the base of the tower there is storage for vestments, hymn books an other service equipment.

This is the external door to the bell tower.  The photo was of course taken from outside.

This is a photo of the stairs leading up the bell tower.


They are carved from great pieces of stone, neatly cemented together into a spiral staircase. Like most such staircases, they are rather worn with age.

The Bells


There are eight bells, the oldest dating from 1682!

The 6th bell was recast in 1954 and the 8th was recast in 1906.

On 6 May 1876, R Wooding was seriously injured whilst bell ringing, according to the local newspaper, the Beds Mercury.

The last two bells, in 1900, were placed in memory of W.F. Higgins of Turvey House.

The church clock was a gift in 1893 from George Sargent, in memory of his parents.

Looking up the bell tower.


Click the image to enlarge