The history and families of Turvey in Bedfordshire, England

©2011 Deborah Richardson

The Turvey Website

Privacy Policy

Terms & Conditions


Home Mail:

Originally called Laws House, this Turvey pub later became the Laws Hotel.

Laws House at Turvey

Back to Pubs and Inns

The Laws Hotel

Built 1836- 1840.

Click here for a great account of the building of this beautiful building.

In 1911 Laws House was under the management of Northamptonshire lady Hannah Irene Powell Sherpin, aged 50.

Her son, Hubert Cyril Oldrey was 24 and learning the management of the brewery.

Hannah had a parlour maid called Fanny Seaby Adams, a house maid called Nellie May Evelyn Walker and a cook called Caroline Baker.

In 1871, Laws House was occupied by retired Major General William EA Ellilot and his granddaughter, Anna C Robertson.  So may have not been a pub at this time.

Outside the Laws Hotel in the 1950s.

Click to enlarge