©2011 Deborah Richardson
This ancient hostelry is now the Village stores (pictured left).
For many years it was the famous 'Tinker of Turvey' Inn.
It was named after a travelling woman called Nell, who was pictured on the sign. A local well is also named after her.
Sarah Cunningham kept the Tinkers Inn
until her death in 1771.
In 1847 the publican was Richard Jones. At this point the pub was also the village ‘posting house’.
There is more information about this public house on the Nell’s Well page.
The Tinker’s Inn about 1890.
Click to enlarge.
The inn sign for the 'Tinker of Turvey'.
The door of Tinkers Cottage, to the left of the now Village Stores.
Recently, iron rings have been discovered in the walls of the cottage. It is thought that horses were shackled in here whilst the coaches which they pulled were changed.