cookies & browser settings

 ©2015 Deborah Richardson

The Turvey Website The history and families of Turvey in Bedfordshire, England

Privacy Policy

Terms & Conditions


Home Mail:

A timeline of the events in Turvey’s history.  I am continually adding to this as I find new information. If you have anything you would like to add, please do let me know.

Remember - anything that is underlined is a link to more details about that subject!

1085 - Earliest known church rector

1086 - Turvey recorded in Domesday Book as a parish within the Hundred of Willey

1100s - Font in Turvey Church made

1136 - Earliest known mention of Turvey bridge

1197 - Mordaunt family gain the manor of Turvey

1400's - Church porch's foundations laid and iron work on door produced

1487 - Ye Three Fyshes Inn pub was built

1506 - date of oldest Mordaunt monument in the church.

1562 - John, 1st Baron Mordaunt dies and buried in Turvey Church

1571 - John, 2nd Baron Mordaunt dies.

1593 - date above door of bell tower of church

1601 - Lewis, 3rd Baron Mordaunt dies.

1603 - Turvey Abbey built for the Lords of the Manor, the Mordaunts

1606 - date of brass of Alice Bernard in the church.

1630 - Church weathercock made - he is inside the church as he got knocked off the tower by lightening in 1858

1622 - date on Ye Three Fyshes Inn.

1624 - beer first sold at Ye Three Fyshes Inn

1629 - Church register dates from this year. There are a few earlier surviving entries from another register of 1606

1643 - death of John, Earl of Peterborough, he is buried under the organ in the church

1682 - Earliest of current church bells was cast

1735 - Charles, 2nd Earl of Peterborough died and was buried in Turvey Church (under where the organ now stands)

1782 - Turvey Enclosure Act was passed

1786 - Charles Higgens purchases Turvey from the Mordaunts

1788 - Margaret Mordaunt donates the communion plate to the church

1792 - Turvey House was built by John Higgins, replacing the old Mordaunt's Turvey Old Hall (or 1794)

1795 - Turvey Bridge was rebuilt

1801 - the population was about 758

1804 - Rev Erasmus Middleton, a famous author of his day, is rector of Turvey until his death the following year

1805 - Rev. Legh Richmond comes to Turvey, he was a very famous man in his day

1805 - population of Turvey is around 800 (according to Rev Legh Richmond's memoirs)

1818 - the population is now 813 (according to the Education Returns of that year)

1820 - Turvey Bridge was rebuilt

1824 - the population was 1,417

1827 - death of Rev. Legh Richmond

1828 - 13 Dec, Weslyan Chapel registered by George Finch, baker

1828 - Congregational Church is formed

1829 - the new rector is Rev. Richard Cecil, his uncle was a famous minister in London

1830 - Charles Longuet Higgins compiles 'Turvey  Abbey Scrapbook' - a collection of his observations

1831 - 28 Sep - Lightning strikes elm on Turvey Farm near Brittain's barn and kills two poor sheep!

1833 - Population of Turvey is 988 (according to the Education Returns of that year)

1834 - Work House closed and demolished following the passing of the Poor Law Amendment Act

1835 - Population of Turvey is 882 (according to Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of England)

1836 - 1840 - The Laws Hotel was built

1839 - new Rectory built on site of original one (corner of Carlton Road)

1841 - population is now 1,814, according to the Census returns

1841 - the Congregational church is opened

1843 - Petition raised that the police force should be discontinued except for the chief constable

1844 - Jonah is erected in the river by the mill by John Higgins

1847 - Turvey Upper National School is built

1849 - the rebuilding of Turvey's three main streets is begun by Charles Longuet and Thomas Charles Higgins.

1849 - 1861 - Ladybridge Terrace & Church Row built by Charles Longuet Higgins

1851 - the population was 1,028, according to the Census returns

1852 - Extensive restoration work on church carried out by Sir George Gilbert Scott

1853 - Turvey Infants National School is built

1854 - the Rt. Rev Sir Lovelace Tomlinson Stamer is the curate of Turvey for just over a year

1855 - Church organ built and installed by Hill and Sons, a gift to the village from Charles Longuet Higgins

1855 - Considerable additions to Turvey Abbey

1856 - Church lych gate constructed

1858 - Top of church tower hit by lightning (knocking off the weather cock!)

1861 - the population was 1,093, according to the Census returns

1864 - the parapets and roof of the church date from this year

1866 - 3rd February - severe thunderstorms

1869 - the very popular Rev George Munby arrives in Turvey

1870 - John Battams Whitworth takes over the running of Turvey Mill

1871 - 18th July - Cemetery in Carlton Road was opened

1871 - a barn is converted by Colonel Higgens into the Working Men's Room - for the men building the railway

1872 - the railway line (Northampton to Bedford) was opened

1875 - Colonel Higgins erects arch over Nell's Well

1875 - Bedfordshire Reformatory is founded by Thomas Charles Higgins of Turvey House, it is certified on 9th April

1876 - R. Wooding seriously injured whilst ringing the church bells

1885 - 24th June - Official opening of the Barton Almshouses & Memorial Hall

1885 - 13th November - Fire destroys much of the Flour Mill (now known as 'The Mill')

1886 - 1st March - A very heavy snow storm from about 6am, lasting all day

1886 - Early Decemeber - severe flooding

1887 - Thursday 19th - Very strong gales, tiles were blown off of houses.

1887 - 21st June - Royal Jubilee Celebrations

1889 - 10th February - heavy snow storms

1893 - Church clock installed, the gift of George Sargent.

1901 - the population was 782 according to the Census returns

1903 - 24th October, the village celebrates the Diamond Wedding of Mr & Mrs Thomas Stanion

1905 - Rev George Munby leaves Turvey, he is presented with many gifts by his parishioners

1908 - Rev G Munby publishes 'Former Days at Turvey'

1911 - the population was 841, according to the Census returns

1914 - Turvey changed to the Diocese of St Albans.

1914 - Start of the Great War - many villagers were to die in the trenches

1919 - the war memorial is erected in front of the church

1919 - the first council houses in Turvey are built, in May Road

1920 - Turvey Bridge was widened

1925 - the Church lych gate was restored by Charles T. Lindsell in memory of his family who drowned

1930s - Church organ converted to electric power

1932 - Turvey bridge was widened and reinforced

1935 - 24th June - 50th Jubilee Celebration of the Barton Homes Almshouses

1939 - Start of World War II sees many Turvey men signing up for action

1947 - Very bad floods following six weeks of snow

1951 - the population was 733

1953 - 1965 - Cristo Crisps potato chip factory operating from the Mill

1953 - Jonah's 'wife', the second statue in the river by the mill, is erected

1958 - Tuesday 29th April, the BBC radio programme "Have a Go", starring Wilfred Pickles, is broadcast from Turvey village hall

1959 - Rev. Butler becomes the rector of Turvey, he remains so until 1969

1960 - the population was 1,000

1962 - the railway line is closed in March

1966 - original Barton Homes building demolished

1969 - Bailey's buses cease operation

1969 - The very popular new rector of Turvey is Rev Peter Jeffery.  He is rector for thirty years.

1971 - demolition of the railway bridge over the main Bedford road

1972 - West Screen bequeathed to Church by Miss Emily Osborn

1980 - Order of Benedictine monks and nuns buys Turvey Abbey.

1981 - New Turvey Lower School built in May Road.

1991 - the population was 1,043

2000 - the population was 1,260

2001 - the populations was 1,192, consisting of 476 households and 489 dwellings

2001 - January - The Turvey Website was first started

2009 - the population is about 1,200

2011 - 1st December - Turvey Website moved servers and was relaunched with a new look

Turvey Time Line